Monday 20 October 2014

Scripts and Soundtracks

For one of our tasks, we had to take the scripts of the opening sequences to two films of the same genre and use them to create an opening sequence of our own. I chose to use the scripts of Aliens (1986) and Predator (1987).



The following script has been created using only parts of the aforementioned scripts:

FADE IN: 
SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE - SPACE 
Silent and endless. The infinite blackness punctuated by a billion stars. Against them drifts a collage of shimmering massive metal forms, descending through the varied shades of blue of the atmosphere. 
We hear the first strains of a haunting, swelling background of OTHER-WORLDLY SOUNDS.

 We were then tasked with finding soundtracks for our scripts. I chose the following piece of music:


I chose this piece of music because it is very suspenseful. The use of string instruments makes it very haunting, which is what I was looking for. They make the opening scene seem very mysterious. Since the shimmering objects are yet to be identified, I want to emphasise the mystery, and encourage people to already begin asking questions about the film.

I've learned that analysing the scripts of other films and taking inspiration from them can be very helpful when trying to write your own script. I've also learned that soundtrack is very good for setting moods and engrossing the audience. This will be useful when I have to create my own opening sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment